First off, the packing is pretty basic. We've seen this artwork for a while, so it's not too surprising. There was also a "declassified" sticker on the outer shrink-wrap, and a "Project Cloverfield" sticker (seen above) sealing the edge of the DVD case, which also has the mysterious Sword logo on it.
One other thing, the stickers and the cover all contain a different 11-digit number - in this case 11112014349, 11112014265, and 11111012009. It's probably nothing, but worth noting.
Inside the case, there are no inserts, just the DVD. The DVD artwork is pretty plain - the Cloverfield logo on sort of a "weathered" steel look.
The DVD contains the following:
- The movie - obviously ;) You can watch the movie with a running commentary by Matt Reeves, which I highly recommend if you have already seen the movie a few times.
- Document 01.18.08: The Making Of Cloverfield - This documentary details the making of the movie, scene-by-scene, and the various locations used.
- Cloverfield Visual Effects - My favorite bonus feature, this shows all the special effects used throughout the movie.
- I Saw It! It's Alive! It's Huge! - This feature focuses on the design of Clover and the parasites.
- Clover Fun - Blooper reel.
- Deleted Scenes - Four deleted scenes that can be view with or without commentary.
- Alternate Endings - Two alternate endings that can be view with or without commentary.
- Previews - Trailers for Star Trek and Indiana Jones.
- www.CloverfieldFiles.com - This website mentioned on the Special Features menu will likely contain more info on the viral maketing part of Cloverfield, with links to the various websites.
Easter Eggs (location hidden in black)
- X Marks The Spot - This Easter Egg shows the subway tunnel parasite scene with Xs instead of parasites, showing how the scene looked before the SFX were added. (You can find this in the Scene Selection menu, just above scene #10)
- Rack'em & Pack'em - This humorous montage spoofs a scene in the movie with Lt. Col. Graff (played by Chris Mulkey, aka Hank Jennings). "Rack'em and Pack'em, we're phantoms in 15!" (This easter egg can be found on the Setup menu by navigating to the right from the Español menu option. A helicopter will appear where the head of the Statue of Liberty's head should go.)
- Supplemental Files - As mentioned previously, there are some pieces from the ARG on the DVD, hidden in a mysterious "Chapter 17". This Supplemental Files section has: four of the Tagruato Chuai station news videos (English, Spanish, French and Japanese), a semi-interactive Slusho page, where you can watch the Slusho! commercial, and four of the Jamie and Teddy videos (#2, 5, 9, & 11). (This Easter egg can be found by waiting 1:17 on the 13-16 Scene Seletion menu, which will cause Chapter 17 to appear.)
Grade: Two Thumbs, Way up!
* Special thanks to Tamar and Scott!