Cloverfield opens tomorrow, 1-2-08, in the UK and Ireland. Here is some Cloverfield information for our friends from across the pond.
Empire Magazine has an exclusive Matt Reeves interview in which he talks about "re-imagining the creature feature, the origins of the monster and his plans for a sequel." He specifically mentions the second video camera on the bridge and it's place in the movie.
BBC Radio's Movie Cafe has an great interview with NY journalist Ben Walters, and another Cloverfield expert, me! :) Cheers! to Bronwen Tulloch for the interview, but unfortunately, things went a bit pear-shaped when it came to pronouncing my name and plugging the website ;) Click the fast-forward "5mins" button, twice, to jump straight to the interview, and stick around afterward to hear an interesting piece about the history of the Statue of Liberty in movies.
Yahoo! Movies has a few new Cloverfield videos, including their review of Cloverfield (5 out of 5 stars), and interviews with JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves.
Also, check out the Yahoo Cloverfield contest to win a trip to NYC! There are also some exclusive Cloverfield contests over at the official Cloverfield site:
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Cloverfield opens in Spain tomorrow, 1-2-08, where it will be called Monstruoso. Spaniards can check out the trailer at their official movie website, and this Yahoo exclusive interview with JJ Abrams (subtitled in Spanish).
If you live in Spain, stop by and say "¡Hola!"
There have been a few rambling here and there about a Cloverfield sequel in the last few weeks, but nothing concrete. However, Variety is reporting that Matt Reeves is already in early talks to direct a sequel, which may even take precedent over his originally planned next project - The Invisible Woman.
It's not surprising that Paramount would be anxious to make a sequel. Cloverfield broke records in it's opening weekend and even though the box office has slowed, the movie has already turned a healthy profit. Not to mention the movie has yet to release worldwide, including the UK and Spain which it opens in tomorrow.
The interesting question will be what form will the sequel take? Will it be the same event filmed by another camcorder in NY (or some other location), or a more traditional movie that could provide the answers to some the the original film's lingering questions.
* Thanks to Emily (aka Melissa_Lossa) for emailing me this story!
Monday, January 28, 2008
Dave also interviewed TJ Miller:
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Here is an assortment of Cloverfield related radio interviews from across the country. If you know of anything I am missing, let me know and I'll add it to the list.
Matt Reeves - Adam Carolla Show on FREE FM
Matt Reeves - Kevin & Bean Show on KROQ
Mike Vogel - The Preston & Steve Show on WMMR
TJ Miller & JJ Abrams - Opie & Anthony Show on K-ROCK
JJ Abrams - Howard Stern Show on SIRIUS
JJ Abrams - Lex & Terry on 97.1 The Eagle
JJ Abrams - Bob & Tom on Q95 (You need to be a Bob & Tom member. If you are, please send the MP3 to me!)
Mentioned in the interviews:
• Cloverfield Cast on Fox 5 News
• LA Times Article on Cloverfield
Friday, January 25, 2008
IGN: Exclusive Cloverfield Video Featurette
CosmoGIRL!: Exclusive Video Interview with the Cast of Cloverfield
Opie and Anthony
• Cloverfield cast on the O&A show - part 1
• Cloverfield cast on the O&A show - part 2
Thursday, January 24, 2008
The official list of winners have been announced for the Slusho Happy Commercial Contest of Joy! The winners of the Slusho branded Alienware laptops are:
- Slusho! Happy Happy For you!!!
- The Wild Slusho!
- The Slusho! Zoom!!! (with robots)
- Slusho! Blows you Away
- Slusho!: Powering Good Times Everywhere
There are also runner up prizes of a Slusho hat and mug.
Many Happy Congratulations to everyone!
Here are the full, unedited production notes that were posted earlier with the spoilers removed. I have highlighted the spoilery parts in blue, so if you already read the edited version, you can skip to the parts you may have missed.
It looks like these originally came from the "press kit", seen here.
There is a Lost easter egg in Cloverfield's opening sequence. Eagle eye viewers will notice a Dharma symbol, similar the pearl station logo from Lost.
There is also a strange Lost coincidence with Beth McIntyre. She shares the same last name as Hugh McIntyre, the Communications Director for the Hanso Foundation. However, he was killed in the Lost Experience.
Interestingly, there is also an image of the Statue of liberty head from Cloverfield hidden in the new Lost ARG - Find815.com.
If you haven't been following the Find815 ARG, you still have time to get caught up before Season 4 of Lost begins on January 31!
Here is a summary from Lostpedia:
The storyline revolves around an Oceanic IT technician Sam Thomas who is intent on finding his love, Sonya, who was on board Oceanic Flight 815 as a flight attendant. Sam has been active in campaigning against the airline's decision to cancel searching for the flight, disgruntled that they wish to move on and resume business. The player learns of Find 815 through a hacked video placed on the flyoceanicair.com website.
BTW, This ARG is HUGE, and way more of a "game" than the Cloverfield ARG. If you are interested in playing along, or just catching up, check out the Oceanic Conspriacies blog.
And once Season 4 of Lost begins (Jan 31st!), come on over to my favorite Lost blog - TheLostCommunity.com - where we discuss the episodes each week.
* Thanks to anonymous for the screenshot.
* Find815 photos from Find815.blogspot.com
* Thanks to Thomas S for emailing about Beth.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
The Geeks of Doom have a great summary of Cloverfield and how the viral websites are related to the movie. This is a great place to start for those who have seen the movie, but haven't followed any of the online experience.
IGN also has a good summary here.
Of course, you can get the full story here, by starting at the beginning...
* Thank to Justin M for emailing me this!
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Here are some of my pictures from the midnight premier of Cloverfield at the historic Grauman's Chinese Theater.
It was a huge event, and the 1100 seat theater was packed! Check out some of the CloverfieldClues super fans below, and Travis Oscarson of Reelz Channel as he documents the fan reactions after the show.
BTW, if you have pictures from the premiere, send them to me and I'll post them here!
The Hasbro Toy Shop is listing a Cloverfield action figure that can be pre-ordered now, but won't ship until September 30th. There's no image of the monster yet, but the description has all the juicy details:
Cloverfield Movie Monster product imagery unveiling is coming soon!* Thanks to Brian L, Robbie S, and Andres G for emailing me this.
Cloverfield Monster Features:
* 70 points of articulation and incredible life-like detail
* Authentic sound
* 14” tall
* 10 parasites
* Two interchangeable heads
* Statue of Liberty head accessory
* Special Cloverfield collector’s edition packaging
In conjunction with the launch of the highly anticipated CLOVERFIELD movie release, Hasbro, in a partnership with Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures, has produced a super-articulated and highly detailed limited collector’s edition Cloverfield Monster.
The Cloverfield monster is available exclusively through HasbroToyShop.com. Reserve your Cloverfield monster today to have the opportunity to receive it when it ships later this year. Limited quantities are available.
Cloverfield TM & © 2008 Paramount Pictures. All Rights Reserved.
Monday, January 21, 2008
Round Five of the Cloverfield Widget Trivia has begun.
Here are the questions [and answers]
1. What is the record-high listing price, in dollars, for a single apartment in New York City? - 70 million
2. What creatures turn into man-eating monsters in the 1950’s film, THEM? - Ants
3. Which of the following films is credited with being the first to feature a robot? - Metropolis
4. What weapon did Gort the robot use to attack humans in the 1950’s film, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL? - Laser eye beam
5. In approximately how many years will the Sun die out? - 5 billion years
6. Who wrote and directed the 1973 film, WESTWORLD, about an amusement park of robots gone bad? - Michael Crichton
7. What was Marlon Brando’s character (Dr. Moreau) infamous for doing in the film, THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU? - Turning humans into animals
8. Between 1789 and 1790, New York City was which of the following? - The Capital of the United States
9. The opening scene to what classic horror film was shot in Iraq? - The Exorcist
10. Who was the creator of the original DAWN OF THE DEAD? - George Romero
11. The southern tip of Manhattan – covering approximately 25% of the island’s land area – lies above which of the following? - A landfill
12. Who starred in the monster-hunting film, THE OMEGA MAN? - Charlton Heston
13. Where was the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON discovered? - The Amazon
14. Which of the following does New York City produce approximately 27 million pounds of daily? - Garbage
15. Dr. Zaius is a character in which of the following films? - Planet of the Apes
16. Which of the following films did not originally come from a Steven King story? - The Exorcist
17. Which of the following planets is not named after a Pagan God? - Earth
18. Where does Carrie get her revenge in the film, CARRIE? - School prom
19. When France gave the Statue of Liberty to the USA in 1886, what was its original name? - Liberty Enlightening the World
20. Manhattan Island was originally inhabited predominantly by what Native American tribe? - Algonquin
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Cloverfield is the #2 search term on Yahoo today, right behind "South Carolina Primary". There is also a special Yahoo Pulse section featuring the top Cloverfield searches, which includes "Cloverfield Clues" :)
There is also a special article in Yahoo Movies called Just The Facts on Cloverfield
And, there is a new Cloverfield video clip, titled "Choppers":
Posted by Dennis at 6:28 PM
The story links to BoxOfficeMojo.com who is reporting that Cloverfield has stomped the competition and was #1 on Friday:
1. CLOVERFIELD - $16,750,000
2. 27 DRESSES - $7,650,000
3. THE BUCKET LIST - $4,150,000
4. JUNO - $3,060,000
5. MAD MONEY - $2,300,000
Cloverfield made almost as much as the other top-5 combined!
Slashfilm is reporting that Cloverfield should "easily coast to ... the All-Time January 3-Day record and ... set a new record for the long [MLK holiday] weekend with an estimated $52M."
There are a lot of Cloverfield related items for sale, on eBay and other places:
- Costumes from Cloverfield ($599 and up!)
- More Cloverfield Costumes (eBay)
- Video Camera used in the movie
- Rocks from the Cloverfield set
Check out all Cloverfield ebay auctions here.
Also, check out this sweet 'Rob's Party mix' CD that was given out at Rob's Surprise Party in NYC.
* Thanks to Flea for the photo!
New MySpace updates which all point towards Rob's surprise party:
HUD to ROB - Jan 18 2008 4:03 PM
hey man. do you have any like, plans for tonight? cuz I was thinking of watching the complete 7th season of buffy, if you're in
ROB to HUD - Jan 18 2008 4:08 PM
That sounds awesome, actually. However, Grimes randomly invited me to see My Fair Lady, he got some free tickets or something. What time are you starting?
HUD to ROB - Jan 18 2008 4:13 PM
Time is an illusion, Rob. Lunchtime doubly so.
JAMIE blog post - Jan 18 2008 4:13 PM - Current mood: energetic
SOMEONE is seeing me naked tonight - and his name won't be Teddy. Tonight is all about me having fun as a free, single, sexy young woman. This is the start of a new era, I can feel it.
LILY blog post - January 18, 2008 4:35 PM - Current mood: stressed
DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ICE BUCKET!?!? - Ahhhhihateboystheyarelazyanddon'thelpahhhhh!
BETH to LIL - Jan 18 2008 4:39 PM
Alright, I think I'm still gonna come. I might be late, though.
* Thanks to DarrenandKatieForever for emailing me first!
Friday, January 18, 2008
The TidoWave website has been locked by the 'Internal Affairs Department', presumably for allegedly destroying the Chuai station and attacking Ganu Yoshida.
I get a mirror of the old site up ASAP.
* Thanks to Richard K, Tyler W, Alex O for emailing me first!
There is a new video on JamieandTeddy.com (password: jllovesth).
Jamie is 'zooming' from the effects of too much of Slusho's secret ingerdient. It sounds like she says is going to Lily's party tonight. Is that Rob's going away party?
You can download the video directly here: JamieAndTeddy.com/number11.mov
Or watch it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKsNYwmeiY
Transcript from David E:
I love you haha, I am finally over you and you know what, I feel like a whole new woman and it’s like it’s gonna be the first night of the rest of my life and and Lily is putting this thing together, and I’m gonna go to it and I don’t know why I just soo like I’m like uh the happiest the happiest I’ve ever been in my whole life and I don’t know I have like MASSIVE amounts of energy I’m gonna have MASSIVE amounts of sex with Schneider and it’s just gonna be great and I just think you should say goodbye to these breast (kisses breasts) cause you’re never gonna see them again and look here (slaps butt) I think you’re pathetic.
* Thanks to Dave B, Amanda, and vernon141 for emailing me first!
There is a new photo on 1-18-08.com. The remains of some thing have washed up on shore... but what is that thing? Or things? Is that a giant bite?
* Thanks to Jason L, Patrick H, Adrian R for emailing me first!
I hope every gets a chance to see the movie today, or has already seen it.
If you went to Rob's Surprise Party in NY, or you were at the Grauman's Chinese premiere in Hollywood, send me your pictures!
I will be taking the rest of the holiday off, so look for lots of new stuff tomorrow!
I saw Cloverfield at an advanced screening on Wednesday, and last night. I won't review the movie yet, other to say it was awesome, but I'd like to offer some tips for when you go to see it.
[highlight to see spoilers]
1. You may get nauseous. I did. I didn't throw up or anything, and I was fine when I saw Blair Witch, so YMMV. The second time I saw Cloverfield, I took a non-drowsy Dramamine and I was fine.
2. Look for someone passed out on a couch at the party. It's [Jamie Lascano!]
4. Something to look for in the final scene. [When Rob and Beth are at Coney Island, look out into the ocean and you can see something fall into the water.]
3. Stay for the end credits. All the way to the end. [There is whispering at the end that sound's like Rob saying "Help Us". Someone recorded the audio and played it backwards, and it sounds like he is saying "It's Still Alive"]
4. Have Fun!
Current TV: Lizzy Caplan interview on Slusho
Current TV: Lizzy Caplan interview on MySpace pages
Current TV: Lizzy Caplan interview on Decapitated Statue of Liberty
Current TV: Lizzy Caplan interview on Cloverfield Secrets
Current TV: Lizzy Caplan interview on Seen Cloverfield Twice
Fuse.tv: The Sauce interviews Michael Stahl-David and Odette Yustman, Part 1
Fuse.tv: The Sauce interviews Michael Stahl-David and Odette Yustman, Part 2
G4TV: Attack of the Show interviews TJ Miller, Michael Stahl-David, Mike Vogel
Ganu Fights Off Attackers* Thanks to Keith D for emailing me this!
Tagruato is proud to report that Ganu Yoshida, sustaining no injuries from his recent attack, is continuing his trip as scheduled. "They tried to hold down my hands," smiled Yoshida at today's BevVo press conference, "But I can still point to the stars."
Yoshida was ambushed yesterday afternoon by a radical gang as he left a important restaurant. The group was barely able to restrain Yoshida and pour a liquid over his head before Yoshida fought back, scattering the gang in all directions. Tagruato security officials believe these may be the same attackers who caused the Chuai Station incident weeks prior.
Yoshida remains in high spirits despite the incident and assures his loyalists that the stunt will not affect Slusho!'s assimilation into America. "I should really thank the criminals, " chuckled Yoshida, "Because of them, I had to postpone a meeting. Now I can extend my stay in New York. I look forward to seeing more of this wonderful city."
When asked if he feared further attacks from the radicals, who reportedly escaped after running from Yoshida's power, he responded, "No. I have nothing more to worry about from them."
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Harry at Fandango is reporting many midnight showings of Cloverfield are already sold out, so get your tickets soon!
Hello friends - just FYI: a number of tonight’s midnight shows of CLOVERFIELD are already sold out (mostly in Manhattan ). It’s clearly the most anticipated film of the season, according to thousands of moviegoers voting in our online poll (see below). Best wishes for a thrilling weekend, HarryFandango Five – Ticket Sales (as of 1/17/08 3:00 p.m. PT)*
Movie / Fandango User Rating / % Fandango Sales
- Cloverfield / “Go” / 60%
- 27 Dresses / “Go” / 6%
- The Bucket List / “Must Go” / 4%
- Juno / “Must Go” / 4%
- There Will Be Blood / “Go” / 2%
Which new film are you most looking forward to seeing this season?
- Cloverfield 52%
- 27 Dresses 20%
- Jumper 10%
- The Spiderwick Chronicles 5%
- Be Kind Rewind 3%
- Other 10%
If you live in the Los Angeles area, THIS is the screening to be at:
Be the first to see Cloverfield at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood at midnight.
Grauman’s Chinese Theater
66925 Hollywood Blvd. Hollywood
Thursday January 17- Midnight
This very special showing will not only be your first opportunity to see Cloverfield (and the new Star Trek trailer), but you’ll also see the headless Statue of Liberty AND get free Cloverfield t-shirts, hats and posters (while supplies last). Get there early because the FIRST 40 PEOPLE to get to the showing will get FREE PASSES!
Grab all of your friends and don’t miss the chance to finally experience Cloverfield with 1100 other fans!
I'll be there, so if you see me, say "Hi!"
TidoWave has a new blog post today.
Horns down. If we go quiet, it won’t be permanent. May the great mother protect her servants in their greatest time of need. She guides our hands.Does this mean they are giving up... or preparing for war?
* Thanks to Matthew S, Richard P, and Dan B for emailing me first.
The Cloverfield manga 'Cloverfield KISHIN' has been completely translated by Arienai, and Kosmopol and his girlfriend.
Also, check out these stories about the Cloverfield manga:
• Cloverfield Manga Offers More Cryptic Clues
• Cloverfield Manga Offers More Clues, Questions
Here is a gallery of the translated pages:
The 'official' Cloverfield movie premiere was tonight, but unfortunately I wasn't invited :(
Antidis was there, and posted a link to some photos of the event. Thanks Antidis !
Check out all the photos here.
UPDATE: IESB has their own photo gallery here.